Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fall will get here, directly...

It was 2 years ago, in the Fall, that I began to post on this blog. Time flies. I think it goes faster with each year, although this year summer seems to be holding on longer than I would like. I am tired of the endless days above 90 degrees and I am definitely ready for fall to get here.

 For reasons I don't fully understand, Fall is my favorite season. Some of it may have to do with new beginnings. The start of the school year in the fall, though now the administrators have backed it up into mid-summer, was always a time of new beginnings and aspirations.  The cooler weather, when it finally arrives, re-energizes after the dog-days of late summer. Maybe that is why I began this blog in the Fall. Or maybe it had more to do with Jon and Ash going to Oxford and using this to have some conversation, but since that was tied to a school year it still has a connection to autumn. Many of our major moves in life have come in the fall as well. We moved to Memphis to start working with Kimberly-Clark in the fall; we moved from Memphis to Roswell in the fall; we moved from Roswell to Pittsfield in the fall. Of course, when I went to explore seminary, since that had to do with school, that move from Appleton to Chicago also happened in the fall. It has been a time not only of changes in the weather, but changes in life.

This year fall seems to be lagging, though. We were chatting the other day about the word 'directly'. I heard it a lot from my grandfather, and from my father. I recall times sitting on the front porch at my grandparents house when my grandmother or my mother would call to us that supper was just about ready. My grandfather would commonly say, 'We'll be there directly'.  It didn't mean we jumped right up and ran in: we just knew to 'mosey' that way shortly. And it was pronounced  'dreckly'. That way you didn't confuse it with something like the same word used for location, like 'he was directly in front of me' (pronounced 'DIE-rectly'). I expect good things from the fall season, so I am ready for it to get here. I guess it will get here directly.

No comments: